Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wedding Bells


I just received a phone call from my brother and he told me some very exciting news.  Him and his girlfriend of about two years were engaged and going to get married around Christmas time.  At first, I was so ecstatic and told everyone in sight, even if they didn't even know who the heck I was.  Then I realized, the big wedding day was coming up and would be this Christmas!  Is my brother nuts?!  A lot of thought goes into a wedding and it should be perfect, a couple months to design the perfect day  is not nearly enough time.  
I called my mom up right away to talk to her about the big news, and how exciting the idea of marriage is.  As a young girl I have always imagined the ideal white wedding.  The white gown and the white roses nicely decorated on each table.  The church bells, the limo, the reception, the guest list, are just a few major details that go into the planning of a wedding.  I asked my mom how all of this would get done before Christmas.  She said, "marriage is not about all the decorations and the reception is about love. "  I realized what she was saying was extremely true, and in fact a wedding is based on love and not the materials or the guest list.  A successful wedding is solely dependent on the two people getting married.  I know that my brother is going to share a wonderful life with a wonderful girl.  It is going to be a small wedding with just our families because it doesn't need to be a blow out wedding for it to be a successful wedding.  Marriage is based on connecting two people for eternal life with a big something called love.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The topic of big weddings may not grab your fellow first-years' attention b/c their own weddings are so far off, but this is a good topic and you make a good point. The average wedding costs more than $20,000 today, and yet 50% of them still end in divorce. The cost of the wedding doesn't guarantee the marriage will take, so couples need to put their focus on making the right choice for lifetime, not the perfect choices for one perfect day.