Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ike Hits Hard


When I heard the news that a hurricane was hitting Texas, I was shocked and a little nervous.  Living in Chicago, Illinois I have never experienced a hurricane incident.  I have heard the devastating stories of when hurricanes hit, and although it is only a category 1 it is still nerve racking. 
I became very curious with the subject and decided to look through the news articles online and share my findings with everyone.  After reading CNN.com  I became educated about how the hurricane has not only left  4 million people powerless but there have been several fires creating more damage along the Texas Gulf Coast.  "Houston 911 received 1,250 fire and emergency calls over the past 24 hours--about 60 percent higher than normal" (CNN.com).  Firefighters have been unable to put out the blazing fires because of the flooding.  Galveston, TX is experiencing the wrath of the hurricane.  Despite this, a whopping "40 percent of the city's 57,523 residents chose to stay despite evacuation orders" (CNN.com).  
The Houston vs. Air Force football game has been moved to the Gerald J. Ford Stadium this Saturday due to the weather.  Also, the Dedman Fitness Center has been closed due to the change with the football game.  I am curious to see how hard the storm hits the SMU campus, but I am nervous at the same time.  I attached a video link so people can see the destruction Hurricane Ike has already had on the Texas Gulf Coast.  HURRICANE IKE BARRELS TOWARD TEXAS
Was anyone affected by Hurricane Ike or by any other hurricanes in general?  I would definitely like to get feedback and understand the process of evacuation or the precautions that have to be taken during the storm.  It must be a very scary experience, therefore I praise the families that have been through any hurricanes and have to struggle to keep their houses in one piece.  Also, are there any interesting/ crazy stories that have happened during the hurricanes?  

No comments: