Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Dumbest Generation- Commenting on Mrs. Channell's Blog

PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE TO GET THE NEWEST HARRY POTTER BOOK!


Let me first off say that this reading took me an hour and a half to complete! Yes I am not proud of this at all. I agree with Bauerlein when he says that "the more you read, the more you can read". Basically, because I rarely read in my free time I struggle to complete reading assignments quickly and efficiently. Usually I get very distracted and am unable to concentrate for awhile. From parents to teachers, everyone is always commenting on the benefits that come from reading. They make you a better writer, more knowledgeable about certain topics, and improve test scores. I disagree with Dyvrsity when she says that students are not reading because they do not want to be labeled as "nerds". When I see students sitting around campus with books propped up on their laps, they are smart in my mind. I am always curious if these "bench readers" are reading for fun or for class. Most of the time, I try to get a sneak peak at the books they are reading. Sometimes they are textbooks, paperbacks, and novels. I figure whether it is for school or for fun, at least they are reading and expanding their minds.


I agree with Bauerlein when he states that there is a large decrease in leisure reading amongst students. It is not that are generation dislikes reading, but we rather spend our time completing other tasks. A big one is socializing. The a-literate generation is concerned with keeping up with TV shows, such as American Idol and keeping up with all the contestants on the show. We do such things, because we know it will be the hot topic to talk about the next day at school. It is not that we are embarrassed to read, but we rather do things that connect us to our friends. Students get excited about books only if others are excited about books. This is why the Twlight Series and Harry Potter books are so popular. Kids are able to connect and relate to each other through these books, which I might add were both made into movies. Film makers probably figured if the books raked in the doe, the movies (about the books) would do the same. And they were right! Students get hyped up about books and movies only if other students are doing the same. I believe reading is a trend. Students want to read when they feel like it or when they have to. Unfortunately students are not reading for fun as much anymore, and are not gaining the benefits. I agree with Bauerlein when he says “books afford young readers a place to slow down and reflect” but I think because our generation lives such fast pace lives it is hard for us to commit to a book. We hate being cut off from the social scene and some believe reading is like solitary confinement.

No comments: