Sunday, February 22, 2009

Alone Time


My roommate and I recently decided to part ways.  Our schedules have conflicted since the beginning of the semester, which has made our living situation difficult.  We made a mutual decision to spilt up.  I would move out of Boaz and my new home would become a single in Morrison McGinnis.  At first I was a little nervous to make this big change.  Then I realized how nice it was going to be to be living in a single.  A room all to myself.  No more getting dressed in the dark and no more late night trips to Fondren.

The whole process seemed to fly by.  My Mom helped me move all of my belongings in a day.  Although it was stressful to have to move all of my things out, it was fun having my Mom here to help me.  She told me that it was probably best that I did not have a roommate because she would probably be annoyed with all the stuff I would bring in.  I was soon settled and began my new life in Morrison McGinnis.

The first night I sat in my single and there was not a sound.  No one running through the halls, no one coming in and out of my room, and no music blaring.  My lifestyle changed instantly.  I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. that night studying for a test.  I woke up the next morning to get in another hour of studying.  I was unable to study this effectively with a roommate.
  I thought moving to a different dorm would cause me to lose touch with my friends from Boaz, but I am always making trips back there.  No one treats me as an outsider but as if I still lived on their floor. 

Kathleen may be my ex-roommate but she is still my best friend.  People are quick to judge.  They think that just because we made the decision to spilt up that we are no longer friends.  This is definitely not the case.  In fact, I believe this change will allow Kathleen and I to become better friends.  She will be able to concentrate on track and I will be able to concentrate on my studies.  Everything works out in the end.  I think we will both benefit from this change, and it will change our friendship for the better. 

No comments: